- Stucco is a durable, long-lasting material that can be tinted to achieve virtually any color scheme.
- EIFS is an easy-to-apply, self-adhesive system that bonds directly to your existing wall surfaces.
- It would be best if you always got multiple quotes from different contractors before getting EIFS.
- The cost of materials for an EIFS installation can vary widely depending on the size of the project and the type of materials used.
A home is more than just the walls and a roof. It’s a reflection of your unique style and personality. So when it comes time to give your home a facelift, you want to choose an exterior finish that will look great and stand the test of time.
For many homeowners, that means choosing stucco. Stucco is a durable, long-lasting material that can be tinted to achieve virtually any color scheme. And thanks to the latest advances in exterior finishes, you can now get the look of stucco without the hassle of traditional application methods.
You can achieve professional results with an advanced product like EIFS (Exterior Insulation and Finish System). EIFS is an easy-to-apply, self-adhesive system that bonds directly to your existing wall surfaces. And because it’s made with lightweight polystyrene foam, EIFS provides superior thermal insulation, helping to keep your home cool in the summer & warm in the winter.
This blog post will explore all the basics you need to know about EIFS for stucco home exteriors!
What Is EIFS, And What Are Its Benefits for Stucco Homes?
Exterior Insulation and Finish System is a type of siding popular in stucco homes.
It is made up of three layers:
- a layer of foam insulation
- a layer of fiberglass mesh
- a topcoat
The foam insulation provides an extra layer of protection against the elements, while the mesh helps to reinforce the structure of the siding. The top coat can be either paint or stucco, depending on the look that you want to achieve.
EIFS is an attractive option for stucco homes because it is low maintenance and easy to install. In addition, EIFS can help improve your home’s energy efficiency by creating an airtight seal that prevents heat from escaping.
How to Install EIFS
EIFS siding is made of a foam core covered with a synthetic stucco finish. If you’re thinking about installing EIFS on your own, here’s what you need to know.
Gather Your Supplies
First, you’ll need to purchase the materials. You’ll need foam boards, adhesives, screws, and mesh tape. Make sure to get the right type of adhesive for your foam boards. Some hardware stores will sell kits that have everything you need.
Cutting the Boards
Next, you’ll need to cut the foam boards to fit your home. You can do this with a saw or a utility knife. Foam boards can be cut easily, so don’t be afraid to experiment until you get the perfect fit.
Once the foam boards are cut, it’s time to install them. Begin by applying the bottom row of foam boards to the house with adhesive. Then, use screws to secure the top row of foam boards. Be sure to countersink the screws so they’re flush with the surface of the foam board. Finally, use mesh tape to cover any seams between the foam boards.
Installing EIFS is not a simple process. If you’re not experienced, leave the installation to a professional. There are many contractors who specialize in EIFS installation and would be more than happy to help you get the job done.
No matter what route you decide to take, installing EIFS is an excellent way to improve the look and feel of your home.
The Cost of EIFS Installation and Materials
You may be wondering what’s the cost of installing this incredible material! On average, it should cost somewhere between $20 – $35/ sq. ft. This is just a rough estimate.
The cost of materials for an EIFS installation can vary widely depending on the size of the project and the type of materials used. The same is true for labor costs, with some installers charging more than others. So it isn’t easy to give a definitive answer when it comes to the cost of an EIFS installation.
However, if you are looking to get an idea of what the cost might be, consider the following!
- First, the size of the project will have a big impact on the overall cost.
- Second, the type of materials used can also make a difference.
- And finally, the labor costs associated with the installation can also vary significantly.
With all of this in mind, it is important to get quotes from several contractors before making a final decision. By doing so, you can be sure that you are getting the best price for your EIFS installation.
Pros and Cons of Using EIFS On Your Stucco Home
There are several advantages to using EIFS on your stucco home.
- For one, it provides an excellent barrier against air and moisture infiltration.
- It also adds rigidity to the house’s structure and can help reduce energy costs by providing additional insulation.
- Furthermore, EIFS is available in a wide range of colors and textures so that you can create a unique look for your home.
Don’t forget that there are some drawbacks to using this system.
- One is that it can be more expensive than traditional stucco finishes.
- If not installed properly, EIFS can lead to leaks and other problems.
Remember, it is important to consult a professional before deciding whether or not to use this system on your stucco home.
How to Care for Your EIFS-Covered Stucco Home
You love your stucco home. It’s unique, stylish, and low-maintenance. But how should you protect the EIFS coating? Here are a few tips:
- First, don’t power wash your stucco. The high-pressure water can damage the coating and cause cracks. Instead, use a garden hose with a low-pressure nozzle to gently rinse away dirt and debris.
- You must avoid harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners on your stucco. These can also damage the coating. Instead, use mild soap and water or a specifically designed stucco cleaner.
- Finally, inspect your stucco regularly for any cracks or damage. If you see any problems, contact a professional EIFS contractor to have them repaired. Following these simple tips, you can keep your stucco home looking beautiful for years to come!
Related: How Does the EIFS System Work?
As you can see, there are many benefits to using EIFS for your stucco home. Not only is it low maintenance, but it’s also durable and can withstand the elements. If you’re looking for a beautiful, long-lasting exterior for your home, EIFS is a great option to consider!
Tired of the same old look and need a fresh coat? Whether you want to add curb appeal for selling purposes or just want a change, stucco/EIFS painting with Elite Custom Painting and Remodeling in Vienna is the way to go! We follow all recommended industry practices and use only the best equipment to prep and paint your stucco/EIFS. Our highly skilled painters will take the time to do the job right, ensuring that every detail is accounted for. Contact us today for a free estimate!